Mother's Day is just around the corner and we have a perfect cake recipe to make for your mom. It is a simple cake that does not require much baking experience, but looks and tastes as a real masterpiece.
If you do not have much experience with baking sponge cakes, you may want to get a ready made sponge from the shop. On the other hand, baking a sponge cake by yourself is not very difficult either if you know some basic tips.
Firstly, always make the dough with eggs that are at room temperature. If you store your eggs in the fridge, make sure you take them out at least an hour before you start making the dough. Together with the eggs also take out the butter which makes it easier to handle when at room temperature.
Secondly, it is important to let the cake bake in peace. Therefore do not open the oven door before you are sure the cake is ready and always open it slowly so the cake does not to have to experience big temperature changes. Now onto the recipe.
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cardamom
200ml whipped cream
400g Philadelphia cream cheese
- In one bowl beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. In the other bowl whip eggs until foamy and add to the butter and sugar mixture. After that add honey into the mixture.
- Mix flour, baking powder and cardamom. Add the mixture into the batter.
- Pour the batter into 20cm baking form and bake at 350 F / 180 C for 30-40 minutes until golden and firm to the touch.
- While the sponge is in the oven, prepare the frosting. Mix cream cheese with honey and whip it for a few minutes. Place the frosting to the fridge for at least 20 minutes before decorating the cake.
- Once the cake is baked and cooled completely, cut it horizontally into three layers. Cover the layers with whipped cream and raspberries or some other berries.
- Take the frosting from the fridge and spread it all over the cake covering the top and the sides. If you do not have a cake decorating spatula, wooden butter knives and pan spatulas work just as well to give the final touch to the cake.
- Leave the cake to the fridge for overnight and in the morning decorate with berries or flowers. As most of the flowers are not edible, use them only for decoration :)
GOOD TIP: If you are using frozen berries, do not through away the melting liquid. Instead cover one of the layers with it to give the cake a beautiful layered look from the inside.